- News> Fusion ArchitectureRead more...X
- 23 05 2013De Oriënt wins Neprom award 2013
- 21 09 2012Exposition FUSION in Zaandam
- 25 07 2012New publication 'Community Architecture in the Netherlands'
- 11 07 2012De Geest van Gezelligheid
- 30 01 2012Article about De Oriënt in Dutch newspaper 'NRC Handelsblad'
- 19 01 2012Inntel Hotel graces the cover of the renowned Japanese architectural magazine a+u
- 12 12 2011WAM update December 2011
- 07 12 2011De Oriënt nears completion
- 06 12 2011WAM architecten designs New Saudi Embassy and Consulate
- 05 12 2011Inntel Hotel wins FIABCI Prix d’Excellence The Netherlands 2011
- 04 12 2011Villa Kooimans in Rhoon
- 03 12 2011Definitive Design for Townhouses, Spinozastraat in The Hague
- 02 12 2011Expansion of Van der Leeuw Opticians, Delft
- 01 12 2011WAM architecten selected for the ‘Buiten in Buiten’ residential project in Almere
- 07 09 2011Interview with Wilfried van Winden in Dutch newspaper 'de Volkskrant'
- 10 06 2011Exposition FUSION in ABC Haarlem
- 22 04 2011Inntel Hotel graces the cover of Architecture in the Netherlands, Yearbook 2010/11
- 12 04 2011WAM update april 2011
- 28 03 2011WAM-studio
- 09 03 2011De Oriënt in The Hague is under construction
- 10 02 2011WAM architecten wins invited competition for townhouses on the Spinozastraat in The Hague
- 08 02 2011Rotterdam’s Essalam Mosque has opened
- 07 02 2011Inntel Hotel Amsterdam Zaandam nominated for the Mies van der Rohe Award 2011
- 06 02 2011WAM architecten contributes to an exhibition at the Louisiana Museum, Denmark
- 05 02 2011Artist/designer Frank Bruggeman designs special pallet bookcase
- 28 01 2011Fusion Architecture
- 31 08 2010Zaandam hotel’s design captures the imagination worldwide
28 01 2011
The Dutch-language publication Fusion –Pleidooi voor een sierlijke architectuur in een open samenleving (Fusion – An appeal for a decorative architecture in an open society) was presented in Amsterdam last September. In this essay Wilfried van Winden advocates an architecture that accepts no taboos.
Fusion is a mindset rather than a style, a strategy that stands for an inventive way of mixing and interconnecting present and past, East and West, tradition and innovation, and high and low culture. The increasing diversity of cultures in our society calls for a new approach in architecture. ‘For me it revolves around the production of an environment that people find pleasurable – call it an architecture of enjoyment,’ says Van Winden. ‘With Fusion it is about interlinking distinctive architectural elements from the present and the past and from a diversity of cultures, with the goal of producing buildings with which people can identify.’
With Fusion Wilfried van Winden wants to shift the accent of the current architectural discourse and create leeway for an imaginative and innovative architecture. The Inntel Hotel in Zaandam, the Essalam Mosque in Rotterdam and De Oriënt residential development in The Hague are fine examples of Fusion from his own portfolio. This richly illustrated essay also presents many examples of designs by other architects.
Fusion - Pleidooi voor een sierlijke architectuur in een open samenleving was published by SUN architecture. It can be ordered via this link.
You can read the discussion of Fusion by architecture critic Bernard Hulsman in the Dutch broadsheet NRC Handelsblad via this link.
Film director Sandra Parry produced a short film about fusion architecture. To view it click here.
- Private Clients